Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sunday Funday

So I found a place to live and I moved on Saturday. Now some people might decide to spend Sunday getting unsettled and unpacking but I'm not most people. It was beautiful out so I decided to enjoy my new home, Venice.

Two friends come over and we head down to the beach. They both have their bikes and I, having made the terrible mistake of leaving mine in DC, had to rent a beach cruiser for the day. I quickly learned a couple of things. The strand on the beach is not conducive to a road bike which I had in DC. Once it's got a lot of sand on it at spots which would mean a wipe out if one is on their 2000 dollar bike. It is also very very crowded so it's more of a cruise speed and not actually anything trying to fly. If you don't move in DC on the bike trail you will have issues. The fact that there aren't more accidents with all the runners and bikers and other folks on the trails in DC is pretty shocking considering how crowded it can get on nice days. On the strand in the beach it's supposed to be just bikers but there are so many and they are just lolly gagging along at a snails pace that you have no choice but to go slow. This all explains why everyone has cruisers here. Only I quickly realize I'm not a fan. I don't like the ride. I wish I had my mountain bike with me. At least it would be useful in the hills and could handle the beach, especially after the tightened the shocks. Sadly it's in DC in the snow and I'm here in the fun.

So we bike up to Santa Monica and past the pier. It's a great day a nd a nice ride and we're taking in the sights. Now I had previously walked up Venice a bit but my god it was much much more crowded than it was the last time. There are kinds of people selling crap and when I say crap. I mean crap. I will explain this more. I also made the tragic mistake to forget my camera. A constant complaint I have been getting is that I haven't been posting pictures. Well this would of been a perfect day for that but sadly no camera. Sorry folks. I'll try and change that.

After biking to Santa Monica we decide to bike down to Venice and grab lunch. We get stopped by this short muscular black dude in an American Flag bikini bottom. He is throwing around a ten pound ball and warns us not to get any food from the carts as they have been killing dogs and he thinks they are serving it. At least that's what we think he is saying. So we acknowledge the advice and avoid a cart and hita stand. I get what was supposed to be BBQ tri-cut tips but it's just a hunk of roast beef. Ok. Fine. My two friends get empanadas and we decide to head over to the basketball courts where they filmed White Man Can't Jump. We walk up and they are ballin'. The quality of the play is, well downright bad. It's sloppy. It's a bunch of dudes running up and down the court passing once and then trying to drive to the hoop. But then two guys start yelling at each other from accross the court. One dude is telling the other that, "Oh I know you I know you." The other responds back, "Bitch you ain't shit. You ain't shit. Put you money where your mouth is. Come on N----- put your money where your mouth is. I got 5 hundy that I gotch you. Come on bitch. Five hundy. Put it up. " The other dude starts talking smack and the first guy says something about a gun so the second dude walks up to him, "what's this talk about a gun. Come on, I know you. I know you. You don't need no gun. Why you bringin' up a gun. There ain't no need for that shit." The first dude replies, "I got it in my bag right here. Show me yours. Come on show me yours." Now all comes to ease and things are good. Now why pray to ask did we sit there during this. Because it sounded much worse than it was. It was two dude that were obviously friendly to each other frankly just talking shit to each other.

By this time another game has started and this tall dude with bushy hair is apparently hated by everyone else because he kept calling, "bitch fouls." Every time they would go down to the hoop the guy would call a foul. Now I personally had to agree with his critics. When I played on the playground unless you ass got dropped you didn't call a foul. It was also far more physical than the play I got to witness here. I was disappointed in the play. No one was shooting. A lot of turnovers and just flat out sloppy. No one could even drive to the hoop with style. Not at all what I was expecting though the shit talking and the fact the game almost came to blows was a lot of fun to witness. I did see the guys in the middle court looked like they could shoot pretty damn well. I just wasn't paying attention to them. I'm definitely going to have to go back and check it out again.

So after lunch we head on down to Marina Del Ray. Talk about a change of scenery. You go from a very bohemian/boardwalk feel of Venice to biking through really nice houses and then to the marina which of course is Yacht city. Talk about huge nice yachts. Man I need to learn how to sail. Anyway we bike to the Lighthouse area where there is a live seven piece band playing and city with a bunch of older folks dancing and hanging around having a blast. I'm definitely going to have to go back there again.

It's about 5pm and one of my friends could eat again so I'm like well I wouldn't mind getting a drink. So we walk back to the beach to grab a drink and watch the sunset. Some things we see as we're walking down the boardwalk-
-Two Medical Marijuana spots.
-Some dude asking me if my mom was here in the 70's because he's pretty sure he fucked her. Nice folks here on the boardwalk.
-God knows how many stores selling bongs and pipes in the window. Apparently pot is quite big here. Oh and the smell of some of the people we were behind was, let me just say, nasty.
-A dude on stilts dressed up as a tree. He has leaves and branches on him and would lean against the trees and pop out to scare people.
-Three girls have a hula hoops off.
-Many many psychics wanted to read your palms or give you a reading. Why is it if you have a board walk and a beach someone feels they can see your future? Maybe I should of asked one if they saw a job in my future.
-A drum circle. There were at least 200 if not 300 people on the beach dancing and going crazy around a bunch of hippies playing the bongos. It was awesome. Unfortunately my friends didn't want to go up and get closer to the mayhem but next time I'm getting more details of what the hell this fiasco was. Apparently it's a weekly occurrence.

So is Sunday evening drinking. We went to three spots before we could find a table for a drink. They were freaking packed. Hell the bar we settled on was even out of the some of the drafts. We settled on a Bitburger and watched the sunset. Did I mention that DC got walloped with snow? I might not have a job or anything furthering my life but I sure had a great Sunday Funday.

No comments:

Post a Comment